CD-RW serial numbers

Neil Johnson njohnsn at IowaTelecom.net
Tue Jan 15 21:08:32 PST 2002

To get around the CD-RW serial-number issue should be easy.

Buy a CD-RW with cash at a computer-fest or ham (amateur-radio) swap meet.

DON'T burn anything on the CD-RW that could be traced back to you.

At the last  ham swap meet I attended there was a guy selling loads of
complete DSS systems off a pallet for $35 cash (It was a reputable swap-meet,
so I don't think they "fell-off " a truck).

2 rows over was another guy selling smart cards.

Another row over was a guy selling smart card programmers.

Inside a building was a guy selling "technical information" on how DSS smart
cards work, including source code for "example" smartcard programs  to "test"
various "features" of the DSS system.

He had big  disclaimers saying "Don't use this info for illegal purposes".

Yeah right.

I wonder how many morons bought all this stuff AND STILL plugged the DSS
receiver into the phone line.

Attention MPAA/RIAA: I didn't purchase anything. There's enough crap on TV as
it is, and I don't need an extra 500 channels of it.

-Neil