Blueberry encryption for boston pigs?

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Tue Jan 15 11:51:57 PST 2002

> Eric Murray[SMTP:ericm at lne.com]
>
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 11:37:03AM -0800, georgemw at speakeasy.net wrote:

> > > ARDIS, the protocol the Blackberry uses, does an XOR
> > > with a 32 bit constant of the day.
> > >
> > > Eric
> >
> > You're kidding, right?
>
> Probably not.  I haven't seen the spec so I'm not 100% sure, but
> this is the info I dug up after 10 minutes of googling.
> http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram-9904.html
>
> Eric

I've done a little work with Blackberries (aka RIM pagers).

I can't answer for ARDIS (which is the network), but on top of that,
the pagers run their own protocol. This is encrypted with 3DES,
using shared secret keys agreed between the device and the
server while the device is being sync'd in it's cradle.

I don't know how the keys are derived, or how often they are
changed.

The system seemed reasonably non-snakeoily to me, at least
against aerial intercepts.

Peter Trei

This e-mail, its content and any files transmitted with it are intended
solely for the addressee(s) and are PRIVILEGED and
CONFIDENTIAL.  Access by any other party is unauthorized without the express
prior written permission of the sender.  If
you have received this e-mail in error you may not copy, disclose to any
third party or use the contents, attachments or
information in any way, Please delete all copies of the e-mail and the
attachment(s), if any and notify the sender.
Thank You.