The vital private archive

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Tue Jan 15 08:15:54 PST 2002

> F. Marc de Piolenc[SMTP:piolenc at mozcom.com] wrote:
>

> Dear Michael,
>
> Michael Motyka wrote:
> >
> >  Hack CD burners to add a SetBurnerIDCode command.
>
> Sorry. Could you expand on the significance of this for non-programmers?
> What does this command accomplish? Is it in firmware?

CD burners place a unique BurnerIDCode onto each CD-R that they
write. Thus, a CD-R can be associated with the machine that made
it, much as color copiers place their serial numbers on copies they
make.

Of course, this serves no useful purpose for the average user, but
narcs out software pirates or samizdat publishers.

"You may not speak anonymously on CD-R".

I don't know what level of work would be required to modify it.

Peter Trei

This e-mail, its content and any files transmitted with it are intended
solely for the addressee(s) and are PRIVILEGED and
CONFIDENTIAL.  Access by any other party is unauthorized without the express
prior written permission of the sender.  If
you have received this e-mail in error you may not copy, disclose to any
third party or use the contents, attachments or
information in any way, Please delete all copies of the e-mail and the
attachment(s), if any and notify the sender.
Thank You.