Stephen Gough,Leigh Gassner need Killing.

mattd mattd at useoz.com
Mon Jan 14 04:53:48 PST 2002

Victoria Police Commander Leigh Gassner denied that police had overreacted,
saying it did not take much for an innocent act to spill over.
"Even the ... Mexican Wave is pretty harmless but to put it into context,
when you start throwing things then you can't take it lightly," he told
reporters.
"There's a cultural issue about where this is occurring and I think we have
to say that that culture is no longer tolerated at the MCG anywhere
* Anyone detected throwing items or starting the Mexican Wave throughout
the ground will be automatically evicted;
* On-the-spot fines, harsher penalties for invading the playing area and
intensified bag searches will also be introduced, with details yet to be
worked out.
The tough stand follows a weekend of hooliganism during two matches at the
MCG which resulted in 36 arrests and nearly 500 expulsions.
Members of the ACB, the Melbourne Cricket Club (MCC), Victoria Police and
the state government met today to consider how to address crowd misbehaviour.
MCC secretary Stephen Gough told reporters the agreement on the measures
was unanimous.
"The idea is that we don't want to see cricket interrupted at the MCG and
we don't want to see the future of cricket at the MCG under any threat," he
said.