Unites States, a Rogue terror state, violates Geneva Convention

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Mon Jan 14 20:01:53 PST 2002

On Monday, January 14, 2002, at 11:49 AM, Duncan Frissell wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Jim Dixon wrote:
>
>> Conventionally, in order to be a prisoner of war you have to be a
>> soldier.  To be considered a soldier, you have to be in uniform
>> and you have to be part of an organized military force, meaning
>> that you have a rank and, unless you are the commander in chief, you
>> have  a superior to report to.  This is an essential requirement,
>> because PoWs are supposed to be handled through their own chain of
>> command.
>
> In addition, in order to be covered by the parts of the Geneva
> Convention
> dealing with POWs, you have to be soldiering for a signatory state.
> Afghanistan signed the Covention a few decades ago but I don't know if
> the
> Taliban would be covered.

Why would it not? It was the regime controlling Afghanistan. Sure, it
was not the regime that signed the Geneva Accords of Whichever Type, but
neither is the Bush Jr. Administration the same as the Clinton, Bush
Sr., Reagan, Carter, Ford, Nixon, Johnson, Kennedy, Eisenhower, or
Truman Administrations.

Nor is the Putin Administration the same as whatever band of brigands
ran Russia 50 years ago. And so on.

The Taliban Regime was as much in the line of succession as any of
hundreds of other regimes.

That the U.S. is choosing to ignore the Geneva Accords of Whichever Type
is, hopefully, one more nail in their coffin.

--Tim May