Ken Taylor: After the fire, into Africa

Anonymous cripto at ecn.org
Sun Jan 13 19:37:35 PST 2002

After the fire, into Africa

By JOHN BARTLET
Monday 21 May 2001

Now hear the hollow hills,

now walk on shards,

hear the death of color,

watch white birds hawk the

blackened plains.

Sit among stones,

sing summer songs of dust

and ashes,

and let the lessons begin.

Now Hear the Hollow Hills

With these words, poet Ken Taylor began to put into words the grief and
depression into which he fell after the destruction of his Mount
Macedon home and possessions in the 1983 Ash Wednesday bushfires. It
was his decision to "deal with grief in order to live" and marks the
first poem in Africa, his collection that this week won the New South
Wales Premier's Kenneth Slessor prize for poetry. Africa is his first
published work for 15 years and indicates the profound effect Ash
Wednesday had on his life. The fires meant not just the loss of house,
possessions, paintings and library but works in progress, journals and
notebooks he had kept during the years he had been developing the
Natural History Unit of Australia.

"It was a major loss for me, a career loss, and an exponential loss,
hard to explain to anyone," he says.
Like many people who have been through this type of disaster, the post
-fire depression was overwhelming and it took Taylor almost 10 years to recover from the experience. "I was lucky to survive," he admits
now. The poems of Africa represent his recovery from that loss.

Taylor was born in Ballarat in 1930 and his life was unsettled by his
father's absence at the war. "My mother suffered on account of this
and it was a difficult time for her. I was sent as a boarder to
Ballarat Grammar School but strangely I enjoyed the life."

Even then, he expected to go to war and went to infantry training
schools in Watsonia and Puckapunyal.

His real ambition, at 17, was to leave Ballarat for the wider world,
where he could "have adventures and write books". His "adventures"
included working as a cub reporter in New Zealand, where he covered the
shipping round. One night a British refrigerated meat-boat had to
replace two deserters in order to sail with a full crew. Taylor
volunteered and became a fireman on the ship.

He not only survived the threat of being thrown overboard but also a
force-12 storm in the Western Atlantic.

It was this experience that he wrote into the first of his Africa
poems, "to get rid of the fire, to deal with an enduring, pervasive
sense of depressive grief". He says he needed images of upheaval and
transformation and found them in that experience.

"A little ship like ours would creep up the side of a great wave and
then tip over the top. The screws would race in air and the governors
would cut in like machine gun fire to stop the big engine destroying
itself. Then the ship would go down the other side of the mountain."

Taylor was an established writer and film maker by the 1960s. On his
return from a Harkness Fellowship at Cornell University, he was one of
the founding writers of the La Mama Writers Workshop in Melbourne. His
first poems were published in the United States.

He went on to found the Natural History Unit of the ABC in 1969. But he
was never satisfied to record wilderness from a distance and once spent
10 days on a fishing boat riding out a storm in Bass Strait. "I think
I spent 12 hours studying a small patch of red linoleum on the floor
while blue and white water smashed over the wheelhouse," he says.

Over two years, the unit produced 12 films on natural Australia. Wild
Australia was the first series of Australian documentaries to win a
worldwide television audience.

Africa speaks of a man surprised by love, not a mawkish or adolescent
love, but one that is startling and harshly realistic "that happens /
across the stretched white paper / we both walk on."
"A long friendship turned into an intense relationship," he says,
"and this made me write again. One day I became conscious I could see
color in the world about me and I wrote of "that / particular silence
as / color seeps into the edges of a washed out / world."

"Poems," he says, "start with a certain thought or observation and
then the pulse takes it on. I'm usually not trying to write for effect,
although there are effects.

"It's a substantial honor for me (to win the prize),coming after 40 years of serious writing and I think it will encourage me enormously."
According to poet and critic Chris Wallace-Crabbe, Taylor's is a "poetry that felt fast, natural spontaneous as though the landscape itself were pouring onto the page in words".

Taylor is a poet who interprets the landscape with an eye that is not
European.
He credits a long list of people as having shown him the way to look at
landscape- "fishermen, farmers, film makers, pilots, rangers, divers,
scientists, bird people, reptile people, arid land people, station
managers and one publican/pilot".

Africa is published by Five Island Press.