Ariel Sharon's Alleged Faux Pas

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Fri Jan 11 20:32:06 PST 2002

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 07:26:21PM -0800, Eric Cordian wrote:
> This is not simply a case of reporting something, and then tossing the
> burden of proof on the opposition to prove it wasn't said.  This is a case
> of something pretty widely disseminated on the Net, to which not a single

Well, yes, but so are plenty of urban legends, myths, and rumors.

> official voice of opposition has been raised.  In a general subject area
> where the slightest dissent generally makes one a big target.

The only two sightings in any newspaper, magazine, newsletter, radio
station, cable channel, or broadcast outlet archived by Lexis-Nexis
(and there are thousands) were two smallish newspapers. Hardly worth a
serious attempt at debunking. They may even have gone unnoticed by the
Weisenthal Center and their allies.

Not that I'm a huge fan of what the Weisenthal Center has done
in terms of Internet regulation, but I'm also insufficiently
credulous to accept all extraordinary statements as fact.

-Declan