Israel's control of the U.S. -- and debunking rumors

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Fri Jan 11 15:37:55 PST 2002

I just did a lexis-nexis search on:

"Jewish people control America and the Americans know it" AND date aft 9/10/2001

Eric Cordian's claim is false. There is a discussion of that alleged
quote in what appears to be the editorial pages ofthe Omaha
World-Herald on October 1, 2001 -- two days before Cordian claims
Sharon said it.

Did Cordian's source get the date wrong but the quote right? Well,
here's an excerpt from that discussion:

With reference to Bruce Malina's question (Oct. 27 Pulse) as to why
Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's statement to Foreign Minister
Shimon Peres wasn't reported in the U.S. media: The answer is that it
is difficult to believe that any Israeli leader could be so stupid as
to say, "We, the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans
know it." Mr. Malina uses a very suspect source, the Washington Report
of Oct. 3. The Washington Report is a monthly magazine influenced by
Andy Kilgore, who had been U.S. ambassador to several Arab
countries. This magazine provides the most obsessive pro-Arab and
anti-Israeli reading in the United States. An example of its bias is
an article in its April-May 1992 issue that suggests that John F.
Kennedy was assassinated by the Mossad so that Lyndon Johnson, who was
considered to be pro-Israel, could become president.
<<<

The quote also appears in an Oct. 13 bylined article in The
Tallahassee Democrat:

So how does Israel, in turn, show its reliability as a friend to the
United States? To answer that question, we turn to an Oct. 3 report
from the Palestinian Information Center in occupied
Jerusalem. According to this report, an argument broke out during a
recent Israeli Cabinet session between Prime Minister Ariel Sharon and
his foreign minister, Shimon Peres. Peres had warned Sharon that if
they didn't heed America's request for a cease-fire with the
Palestinians it would endanger Israeli interests and turn the United
States against them.  At which point, a furious Sharon reportedly told
Peres, "Every time we do something, you tell me that America will do
this or do that. I want to tell you something very clear. Don't worry
about American pressure on Israel. We, the Jewish people, control
America, and the Americans know it."
<<<

No other newspapers matched that search phrase.

Whatever Sharon's true feelings, the provenance of that quote
seems especially dubious. If you believe otherwise, I have some
1,000:1 compression software to sell you.

-Declan