Olympic Jewells: Utah = UK

georgemw at speakeasy.net georgemw at speakeasy.net
Fri Jan 11 13:05:31 PST 2002

On 11 Jan 2002, at 12:19, Major Variola (ret) wrote:

>  "The Secret Service is one agency that hangs its hat on security that
> is discreet," Camillo said.
> "There will be a visual presence because of magnetometers and fencing.
> What you won't see is
> what I'll describe as a police state."

I bet that guy's kicking himself in the ass after that quote.
I'm sure what he meant to imply was "there's nothing you'll
see that makes you think we're turning the place into a police state"
rather than what it comes out as sounding like, "there's a police
state, you just won't see it".

> http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-011102oly.story
> Sounds like the British visitors will feel right at home...

I'll feel right at home too...because I'll be staying home!

One of life's little ironies is that the reason that security
was so crappy at the 72 olympics was that Germany wanted to
announce to the world "we're not Nazis anymore!
See, no police state!"

There's probably a moral to the story, but I'm not learning anything.

George