[Reformatted] Burning down the olympics

Eric Cordian emc at artifact.psychedelic.net
Fri Jan 11 12:59:10 PST 2002

Greg Broiles writes:

> It's my understanding that one hostage was killed early in the standoff,
> and that another team member (a coach?) was shot but escaped as the
> hostages were being captured initially.

> Some time later, the German authorities provided the terrorists with a bus
> - the hostages and terrorists boarded the bus and drove to the airport,
> where two helicopters were waiting for them.

> There - on the airport tarmac - there was a gunfight between (AFAIK) German
> police and the terrorists, which led to killing all of the remaining
> hostages, many of the terrorists, and some police.

Yes, I obviously got the Munich thing confused with something else.  I
have posted a correction in response to a sarcastic snipe by Tim.

> "One Day In September" is a documentary about this which isn't impossible
> to find on DVD or VHS.

> .. or are you saying that the airport firefight took place between Israeli
> soldiers in German police uniforms and the terrorists?

No.  It was Germans who screwed it up.  The Germans, concerned about PR,
turned down the Mossad's request to send in a rescue team, and tried to
do the rescue themselves with the Mossad director watching.

--
Eric Michael Cordian 0+