Goldmember

mattd mattd at useoz.com
Thu Jan 10 04:43:09 PST 2002

Mr Godsell rejected criticism that AngloGold's proposal to form a global
co-operation pact with Canadian gold giant Barrick Gold was not clear. No
formal deal has been signed, but the miners propose to extract synergies
from neighbouring assets, starting in Australia and Africa.
In particular, AngloGold plans to sell Barrick sole management rights at
the Kalgoorlie Super Pit (owned by Normandy and Barrick), and offer a stake
in the 15 million ounce Boddington project south of Perth, should its bid
succeed.
"In my view (the proposal) is very clear," Mr Godsell said.
Many analysts believe the proposal could be a prelude to a formal alliance
between the two groups, an outcome Mr Godsell refused to rule out: "Could
this lead to greater things? Well perhaps. The agreements are pretty clear
and are ... quite meaningful."
Why is a Canadian company's successful libel suit against a British
newspaper a possible threat to your ability to get uncensored news on the
internet? The story of reporter Greg Palast and the Bush family-linked
Barrick Mining Corporation will make that clear. We'll hear from Greg
Palast, who writes for the UK-based Observer.

[listen to this
section]  http://www.webactive.com/webactive/cspin/cspin20010810.html and
http://www.gregpalast.com/