Random Data Compressed 100:1 (Guffaw)

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Jan 9 10:40:43 PST 2002

On Tuesday, January 8, 2002, at 07:12 PM, F. Marc de Piolenc wrote:

> I think they may be referring to a random string of _ASCII characters_.
> That would be subject to compression because it is not random at the bit
> level.
>
> But 100:1? I have no idea how to achieve that.

The entropy of ordinary written English is about 2.2 bits per character.
(Meaning, of course, that each new character contributes not much
"surprise," i.e., is somewhat predictable. Entropies of various sources
can be experimentally measured.)

Others, particularly Eric Cordian, have already written at length on
this claim of "100:1 compression of any file."

Steve Smale at Berkeley is a famous and respected mathematician. He may
be unaware of these claims, he may be senile, he may have worked on some
small (no pun intended) aspect as a paid consultant, or the actual
compression may be lossy and oriented toward replacing JPEG with a
better lossy algorith (as Iterated Systems, IIRC, has been doing with
fractal compression).

The pigeonhole principle is not just a "theory," it's the _law_. You
can't stuff distinct 64 things into 32 boxes without a lot of them being
put into the same box. Which means reversing (decompressing) to the
original won't work.

The Chaitin-Kolmogorov view of algorithmic information theory is the
best model we have.

By the way, for all of you who struggled to understand Godel's Theorem
expressed in the "logic" formulation that Godel first used--and that was
the basis of Newman's fairly popular exposition--there are very
understandable formulations of Godel's Theorem in terms of information
theory and compressibility. Chaitin has a very clean one (no Kleene pun
intended). Rudy Rucker does a good job of explaining it in "Mind Tools."
Chaitin also has some good books and articles, though some of them jump
too quickly into stuff like computing Omega...his "Scientific
American"-level articles on the foundations of mathematics are better
places to start...included in some of his books.

--Tim May
"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only
exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from
the Public Treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for
the candidate promising the most benefits from the Public Treasury with
the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy
always followed by dictatorship." --Alexander Fraser Tyler