SSZ System Update = Downtime Alert

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Tue Jan 8 13:41:42 PST 2002

Hello,

Recently I sent a note out describing some of the future changes that SSZ
would be going through. Well, one of those changes is here. In something
approaching two weeks the T1 will be installed and the various name servers
will be swapped over. As a result of propogation delay we expect 2-3 days of
service outage. We'll also be upgrading various systems as well during this
downtime. We apologize for any inconvenience and will try to minimize any
service outages.

Another change will be the elimination of all the SSZ mailing lists except
the Cypherpunks, Hangar 18, & Club Inferno. The rest will be moved over onto
the Open Forge machine or eliminated. Further info on this soon.

We are still undecided on which of the Open Source
code/document/media/project management packages we will end up with. If you
have a distinct (dis)like for one or more of the current packages I'd
appreciate hearing your reasoning.

The Hangar 18 Plan 9 file server should be online sometime in March. It will
be a single 80G namespace. We will then begin work on the processor farm.
Our current estimate is to have approximately 6-8 machines available
sometime late this summer.

We currently have one 802.11b AP active in N. Austin (near Target on 183).
Another node in Hyde Park (Duval & 48th) will be coming online in the near
term. They are NOT usually accessible at this time. These two nodes share the
T1 by a dedicated ISDN connection. These are components of the Hangar 18 co-op
effort here in Austin. We are currently finalizing access policies and
writing the web pages. Notices will be sent out on the Hangar 18 mailing list.

For more info:

Plan 9

http://plan9.bell-labs.com

Hangar 18

http://einstein.ssz.com/hangar18

             Day by day the Penguins are making me lose my mind.

                                             Bumper Sticker

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com