How to defeat spyware

Dr. Evil drevil at sidereal.kz
Mon Jan 7 21:44:52 PST 2002

> It seems pretty clear from the court documents that the Scarfo
> keyboard logger only recorded keystrokes. We don't have details
> ("classified," "national security," "CIPA") but the exhibit
> introduced as evidence shows backspaces, up-down arrows, and other
> functions you'd normally associate with keyboard entry only.

That does not mean that they were using only a primitive BIOS level
logger.  A GUI-interceptor would generate a huge log of activities;
you would just pipe it through grep TYPE: KEYBOARD-INPUT or something
and it would give you the same thing.  It doesn't really matter,
because GUI-interceptors are off-the-shelf things, so if they felt
they needed it, they would get it.  It's all pretty basic.

Bottom line: If your attacker gets access to your hardware without you
knowing it, and he has resources and a clue, he wins.  The threshold
for "clue" and "resources" in this case is very very low; maybe $100
to install your basic hardware keylogger.