How to defeat spyware

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Mon Jan 7 21:25:28 PST 2002

On Monday, January 7, 2002, at 08:52 PM, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 04:46:02PM -0800, Tim May wrote:
>> Setting a trap gun to blow away anyone who inserts a floppy (or hooks
>> up
>> a cable) to a machine he has not been given access to is morally
>> permissable.
>
> Except when the local firefighters show up when your house is on fire,
> you're away, and the gun is rigged...
>
>> As the Mafia case shows, Big Brother and his courts no longer even
>> think
>> a warrant is needed.
>
> Actually, the warrant in the Scarfo case was signed by a federal
> magistrate judge. That doesn't mean it's constitutional, but the
> judge had exactly this in mind.

I meant a wiretap warrant, as you talked about in your article. A
"search warrant," duly presented to the resident and defining the
general scope of the search, is substantially different from a wiretap
order or secret search warrant.

But such secret or extra-warrant search orders are part of the public
lore, hence part of the current law. In "The Sopranos," Tony's entire
house is wired for sound. In "Law and Order: Criminal Something or
Other," a completely warrantless keystroke logger is inserted in a
witnesses computer.

I think those who violate the C. should be killed.

--Tim May

--Tim May
"They played all kinds of games, kept the House in session all night,
and it was a very complicated bill. Maybe a handful of staffers actually
read it, but the bill definitely was not available to members before the
vote." --Rep. Ron Paul, TX, on how few Congresscritters saw the
USA-PATRIOT Bill before voting overwhelmingly to impose a police state