Fear and Trembling

Ken Brown k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk
Mon Jan 7 09:10:39 PST 2002

John Young wrote:

[...]

> The short-lived patriotism after WTC/Pentagon has been
> transformed into uncritical jingoism in the US and surprisingly
> in the copycat UK.

Why "surprisingly"? Every UK administration since 1945 has been
America's poodle in foreign affairs and military matters.

[...]

> These targets are not celebrated, they are taken for
> granted as if to last forever, well, as long as King George
> lasted on the American continent

<ahem>

George III's rule on the American continent lasted longer than George
Washington's did. The present Queen is *still* the head of state of more
of the American continent than the president of the USA is
(http://www.communication.gc.ca/facts/geography_e.html)

Ken Brown (I may be British but I'm not a bloody monarchist - though I
don't mind the royals as much in places like Canada & Australia as I do
here http://www.cix.co.uk/~kbrown/rotm/1999nov.htm)