Spooky noises and things that go bump in the night

Petro petro at bounty.org
Mon Jan 7 00:39:49 PST 2002

On Sunday, January 6, 2002, at 06:37 PM, Bill Stewart wrote:

> Some anonymous forger allegedly replied to Petro along the lines of:
>
>> > The subtle click of the cocker engaging will
>> >(a) be lost in the other noises and
>> >(b) is innocuous enough that they probably won't.
>>
>> Yes, since the invaders have not learned what's 'normal'.
> That's the fun of the traditional pump-action shotgun.
> *Everybody* knows what one of those sounds like,

	And if they are armed (and so inclined), they now know where to aim
and start shooting.

> Nor do I.  If the neighbor's kid wants to steal my
> overweight television or 233-MHz PC, it's not worth killing him for,

	There are only 3 things in my home worth killing to protect:
	(1) My wife.
	(2) My self.
	(3) My guns.

	A thief can have the TV (take my TV...Please), the stereo (Don't
touch the CDs or albums tho'), the computers etc. but I cannot let a
thief take the guns out of the house while I'm alive to prevent it.
Stolen guns rarely get used for "good".

	As to the other two, well, that's almost axiomatic.

> I do keep a loaded fire extinguisher by the bed.

	What kind?

> Most people don't know the sound of one of those going off,
> or the effects of getting hit in the face by the blast,
> though they may know how to react to the blunt end of one
> if the previous effects haven't distracted them,
> and I can shoot first and ask questions later.

	I don't know, Fire extinguishers can be lethal, just ask that kid
in Italy...

--
"Those without creative minds and agile fingers are of course
welcome to hurry up with my fries. And they'll probably use