Glock: preferred weapon of Baby Liberation Front

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sat Jan 5 09:36:58 PST 2002

On Saturday, January 5, 2002, at 12:53 AM, Anonymous wrote:

> Infant Shoots, Kills Cop Father
>
>    SMYRNA, Tenn. (Reuters) - A 22-year-old policeman was killed by his
> 3-year-old son when the
>    boy picked up his father's gun off the kitchen table and
> accidentally fired, police said Friday.
>
>    Joshua Haffner, who had recently joined the Smyrna Police
> Department, returned home Thursday
>    from night shift duty, put down his gun, and was struck in the back
> by a bullet fired by his unidentified
>    son, police spokeswoman Barbara Wilford said.
>
>    Haffner was taken by helicopter to Vanderbilt University Medical
> Center where he died a short time
>    later. He had graduated recently from the Metro Police Academy.
>
>    Smyrna is a town of 14,000 southeast of Nashville.

Ironically, the U.S. headquarters for Glock is in Smyrna....Smyrna,
_Georgia_.

(There are Smyrnas in both Georgia and Tennessee.)

This sort of accident (caused by carelessness) may affect Glock sales
slightly. The lightness of the trigger ("Glock SafeAction") on Glocks
makes it more likely that a 3-year-old could manage a shot than with
other actions. For example, a "cocked and locked" 1911 would probably be
safer in this situation, as the kid would have to disengage the manual
safety and also depress the grip safety (*). A DA/SA or DAO would also
have more resistance on the first shot. And the "clack-clack" P7 that
Matt Gaylor derides would be tough for a small child to squeeze cock.

(* Some folks disable the grip safety on their 1911s, either by taping
the grip lever in the squeezed position or with special mods. But nobody
I know of carries the piece "cocked and unlocked.")

--Tim May
"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize
Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of
conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States who are
peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." --Samuel Adams