explicit govt monopoly rent-seeking (law abuse)

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Thu Jan 3 19:33:09 PST 2002

On Thursday, January 3, 2002, at 05:16 PM, Neil Johnson wrote:

> On Thursday 03 January 2002 05:55 pm, Anonymous via the Cypherpunks
> Tonga
> Remailer wrote:
>> The problem dates from the early 1930s, when utility companies
>> delivered
>> their bills by mailbox through their own employees out reading meters.
>> The
>>

> In my home town the P.O. got in a snit 'cause the local newspaper was
> putting
> its paper in people's mailboxes. Solution ? People put up separate
> boxes for
> the paper.

This kind of scheme falls apart as soon as even a few people _don't_ put
up the separate boxes. Or tell the company they have them, but then take
them down.

Because the billing company, or any other deliverer of mail, is swamped
by keeping track of who has special boxes, who needs their bills mailed,
etc.

> I think you still have to get some sort of certification from the P.O.
> if you
> want to manufacture or  sell a box to be used as a mailbox. Go figure.

Anyone can build and mark a box with "W.A.S.T.E." or some other label.

Calling it "Unites States Mail" is where the sticky issues come in.

--Tim May

--Tim May
"Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and
strangled with her panty hose,  is somehow morally superior to a woman
explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound"