explicit govt monopoly rent-seeking (law abuse)

Neil Johnson njohnsn at IowaTelecom.net
Thu Jan 3 17:16:01 PST 2002

On Thursday 03 January 2002 05:55 pm, Anonymous via the Cypherpunks Tonga
Remailer wrote:
> The problem dates from the early 1930s, when utility companies delivered
> their bills by mailbox through their own employees out reading meters. The

In my home town the P.O. got in a snit 'cause the local newspaper was putting
its paper in people's mailboxes. Solution ? People put up separate boxes for
the paper.

I think you still have to get some sort of certification from the P.O. if you
want to manufacture or  sell a box to be used as a mailbox. Go figure.

I always liked my friends idea of solving the green house effect by requiring
everyone in the US to permanently store the junk mail they receive thus
storing the CO2 in the paper (that or requring everyone to stop breathing for
 5 minutes).

-Neil