What is a 'right'?

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Thu Jan 3 13:34:38 PST 2002

On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, Jim Choate wrote:

> A 'right' is an activity that any individual could engage in (at least in
> principle) while 'in a state of nature'.
>
> So what does 'in a state of nature' imply? It implies human activity a
> priori to the concept of 'civilization'.

That don't work white boy.

According to you, while in "a state of nature" anyone has the right to
grab the nearest rock and smash it over your head repeatedly (in
principle.)

That doesn't make it ethical or "right".  Right != ability.

That you possess the ability to grab a loaded machine gun and shoot the
nearest cop does not mean that you legally may do so -- you don't have the
right to do so, though you have the physical ability to do so.

Unless you are redefining what nature means. While you're at it, you
might want to redefine the meaning of "is."  Better put some ice on that.

Clues: (not that you'll listen, but at least it's amusing...)

1. Quit trying to define things.  Your name ain't Merriam Webster, and
your private redefinitions of words do not affect the common definitions
that everyone else uses.

2. Quit attempting to play a lawyer.  You aren't a member of that club,
and you don't play one on TV.

3. Your posts are and have been illogical.  Try to think before you post.

4. Your posts usually address what you wish reality were like instead of
what reality is.  This makes your arguements useless.  The sky isn't
bright orage, the air is not composed of 80% oxygen, the earth isn't
flat.  You may wish any of these to be so, but it just ain't so.  Argue
all you like, but the atmosphere does not contain 80% oxygen.

5. Get off this fictional CACL rantmachine.  There is no on here that
considers themselves to be a member of anything called "CACL."  Last time
you tried the "self appointed CACL leader" BS, I posted a simple request
asking anyone who considers themselves to be a "CACL" to reply.  No one
did.  You're barking up the wrong tree.  You may as well be bitching about
politics on Mars.  No one gives a flying fuck about your imaginary
conjectures.

 + ^ + :Surveillance cameras|Passwords are like underwear. You don't /|\
  \|/  :aren't security.  A |share them, you don't hang them on your/\|/\
<--*-->:camera won't stop a |monitor, or under your keyboard, you   \/|\/
  /|\  :masked killer, but  |don't email them, or put them on a web  \|/
 + v + :will violate privacy|site, and you must change them very often.
--------_sunder_ at _sunder_._net_------- http://www.sunder.net ------------