Infinite justice..

mattd mattd at useoz.com
Wed Jan 2 06:42:42 PST 2002

The fame of Asimov's Foundation and Robot series has tended to steal the
limelight from some of his other masterpieces, chief among them, The End of
Eternity, a book that is hard to find. In this book, Asimov consciously set
out to explore the limits of the classic paradox of time travel that has
bedeviled so many works of science fiction. As a result, this is a "bare
bones" novel; no robots or empires or any other such distractions. Its
strength lies in imagination. Asimov looks at our world as it has evolved,
and then introduces the organization called Eternity, whose mission is to
protect humanity from its own mistakes, by making deft changes in key
events over time (past and future). Along the way, he has fun making digs
at the unchanging fundamentals of human nature (competition, drive, love)
amid centuries of changing social mores. At the heart of the book is the
love story of Andrew Harlan and Noyes Lambent, but this tale is just a
framework for Asimov to build on. In the final analysis, Asimov is making
the point that just as a child learns to walk by repeated falls, humanity's
ultimate characteristic is the Schumpeterian desire and ability to innovate
through risks. If we are protected from ever making mistakes, we may avoid
tragedies, but the human race itself will vegetate and die. As with many of
his earlier works, the dialog can be jarring and characters often
one-dimensional. For all that however, The End of Eternity ranks among
Asimov's finest in the field of science fiction and makes it all the more
strange why this book is so difficult to find. Do take the time to lay your
hands on it; you will not be disappointed.