Choices of small handguns

Petro petro at bounty.org
Wed Jan 2 01:05:59 PST 2002

On Sunday, December 30, 2001, at 09:11 PM, Matthew Gaylor wrote:

> At 2:53 PM -0800 12/30/01, Tim May wrote:
>> * H&K P7, the famous "squeeze-cocker." I had wanted one of these since
>> reading about them in 1980, so when H&K was selling a bunch of
>> reworked and remarket P7s at a good price ($550 or so), I bought one.
>> Very elegant, very unusual. Mine is in 9mm. Very safe, but takes a bit
>> of getting used to.
>
> Click, clack is how I describe the P7.  I wouldn't want to reveal my
> position to say a burglar with such a pistol-  Any of the other pistols
> mentioned along with other conventional DA/SA pistols seem to be a
> better choice.

	The squeeze cock is activated as you draw/grasp the weapon. If the
burglar is close enough to hear that he is going to notice your movement.

>> * I have one Glock, a 1986-vintage Model 17, the first ones they
>> imported into the U.S. 9mm, 17-18 shots. It does the job, is safe, and
>> is a reliable standby. Many people swear by them. A Glock 19 is
>> slightly smaller. And then there are the aforementioned Model 26s and
>> 27s (.40, I recall).
>
> Keep in mind that Glocks, while excellent, reliable and accurate do
> lead the pack in accidental discharges, even among "trained" police.
> I'd not recommend the Glock to a beginner or to someone who wouldn't
> put in the necessary practice.

	Most of the ADs are from either not taking their fingers off the
trigger, or from having the trigger snag on something.

	Not that this takes away from what you have written.

>> I like my Kahr, followed by my H&K P7, followed by my SIGs.
>> (I also have a full-sized H&K USP .45, and other handguns, of course.)
>
> The Kahr's are excellent firearms-  Especially if your primary purpose
> is to conceal it.  However as a general purpose pistol a higher
> magazine capacity model with better longer range accuracy is better-

	Not for civilian use. The vast majority of defensive pistol
engagements are under IIRC 7 feet, and are over in 1-3 shots.

--
"Those without creative minds and agile fingers are of course
welcome to hurry up with my fries. And they'll probably use