Fwd: Jon Johansen charged with "hacking his own PC"

Steve Schear schear at attbi.com
Mon Dec 9 14:29:35 PST 2002

[Another example of how desperate and morally bankrupt Hollywood has become.]

>From: "Cory Doctorow" <doctorow at craphound.com>
>boingboing-mailblog-owner at yahoogroups.com
>Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 23:26:50 -0800
>Subject: [Boing Boing Blog] DVD hacker on trial in Norway on Monday

>Page
>
>Jon Johansen, the Norweigan teenager who helped crack the crypto on DVDs so
>that he could watch out-of-region disks on his PC, is facing charges on
>Monday in Norway. I asked a lawyer-friend about this today: if Norgeigan
>law doesn't have the "anti-circumvention" stuff that the American DMCA has,
>what has Jon been charged with? It turns out that the MPAA insisted that
>Jon be prosecuted and that the best the Norweigan prosecutors could come up
>with is a statute forbidding intruding on a computer, so they charged him
>with hacking his own PC.
><http://www.eff.org/IP/Video/DeCSS_prosecutions/Johansen_DeCSS_case/20021206_eff_pr.html>Link
><http://www.quicktopic.com/boing/H/FRpxGwFFe6M2>Discuss
>
>--
>Posted by Cory Doctorow to <http://boingboing.net/>Boing Boing Blog at
>12/6/2002 11:26:49 PM

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only
exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from
the Public Treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the
candidate promising the most benefits from the Public Treasury with the
result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy always
followed by dictatorship." --Alexander Fraser Tyler