Mitigating Dangers of Compromised Anonymity

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Sat Aug 31 10:24:33 PDT 2002

At 01:21 AM 8/31/02 -0700, Morlock Elloi wrote:
>Just wondering ... in a life & death situation (say, blackmailing att.
>general), what would be the choice of readers of this forum:
>

>a) use mixmaster remailer from their home/business/friend.

Like that one-degree of separation is comforting...

>b) use an internet cafe

Your face might be recognized later.  Willing to shave for the
transmission and then go on vacation to regrow the mane?

>c) use an open wireless AP

Bingo.  Use a rented car.  Or better, stolen :-)

>b and c assume, of course, one-time use of a throwaway e-mail acct.

Why bother even establishing one?  Simply use a fake name and domain
that your SMTP server takes.  Works for me :-) [1] though I don't get
personal
replies -not something you want anyway for your task.

[1] Though header-stripping lne.com can trace me ---real anonymity would
require b) or c)
or a trusted a) (only without my end being observed before the fact).

>c) makes most sense to me, provided that you fake your radio card's MAC
and do
>it while walking by, with folded laptop in a bag running a script.

Or treat your fixed-MAC card as a one-time-use disposable and torch the
thing.
Along with the laptop, probably.   Separately.