The US Empire-its almost over now.

Matthew X profrv at nex.net.au
Fri Aug 30 08:56:42 PDT 2002

"This is a profoundly disturbing turn of events. Mr. Bush is protested
wherever he goes these days, and the crowds which attend them are growing.
These are not black-clad anarchists kicking in windows, however. The woman
who was attacked by the police looked as ordinary as any small-town
librarian, and anarchists are smart enough to leave their children at home
if there is a riot in the offing." > "We Are Not The Enemy!" - The Battle
of Portland > by William Rivers Pitt > t r u t h o u t | Report > >
Saturday, 24 August, 2002 > > The image is chilling. A middle-aged woman,
plainly dressed, with a > puff of auburn hair, is clutched in a hammer-lock
by a Portland > police officer dressed in full riot gear. His riot baton is
jammed > high under her chin. Around her, three more armor-clad police >
officers swarm in, face-masks down. The woman's face is contorted in >
terror. In her hand is a sign protesting George W. Bush. > > This was the
scene on the streets of Portland, OR, on the evening of > August 22nd as
captured by a photographer for the Associated Press. > Thousands of
peaceful protesters had descended upon the Hilton Hotel > where Mr. Bush
was attending a political fundraiser for Senator > Gordon Smith. They held
signs reading, "Drop Bush, not Bombs," and > other similar slogans. Among
the protesters were pregnant women, > parents with infants and small
children, elderly citizens, and > citizens in wheelchairs > > According to
a report by CBS News, the protest became unruly when > some of the
fundraiser attendees were "jostled" as they moved through > the crowd
towards the entrance to the hotel. At that point, the riot > police swarmed
in, swinging clubs and dousing the crowd with pepper > spray. Rubber
bullets were also fired into the crowd, and snipers > were seen on the
roofs surrounding the scene. The protesters > responded by hammering on the
hoods of police cars and screaming, "We > are not the enemy!" > > A man
named Randy, who attended the protest, reports the sequence of > events as
follows: > > "I was between 5th and 6th on the sidewalk. Maybe the ones in
front > were warned to move, but I didn't hear any warning. It had been a >
peaceful protest. Suddenly the police came forward spraying pepper > spray.
A man nearby with an infant in a backpack got hit real good. > The baby's
face was so red I thought it had quit breathing. From the > other direction
came cop cars through the crowd and rubber bullets > were fired at those
closest to the cars. I kept retreating but the > cops kept spraying. Lots
of people were sprayed, including the > cameraman from Channel 2 KATU." > >
Other eyewitness accounts from the streets of Portland similarly > describe
what appears to have been a terrifyingly violent response > from the police
to a peaceful protest by assembled American citizens. > > This is a
profoundly disturbing turn of events. Mr. Bush is protested > wherever he
goes these days, and the crowds which attend them are > growing. These are
not black-clad anarchists kicking in windows, > however. The woman who was
attacked by the police looked as ordinary > as any small-town librarian,
and anarchists are smart enough to leave > their children at home if there
is a riot in the offing. The streets > of Portland were filled on August
22nd by average American citizens > seeking to inform the President of
their disfavor regarding the > manner in which he is governing their
country. They were rewarded > with the business end of a billy club, a
face-full of pepper spray, > and the jarring impact of a rubber bullet. > >
If America needed one more example of the cancer that has been > chewing
through the guts of our most basic freedoms since Mr. Bush > assumed
office, they can look to Portland. The right to freely > assemble and
petition the government for a redress of grievances has > been rescinded at
the point of a gun. > > The imperative is clear. Such violence by the
authorities cannot go > unchallenged. The next time Mr. Bush appears in
public, there must be > even more concerned Americans to greet him. They
must face the baton > and the pepper spray, they must stare into the
shielded faces of the > police, and they must stand in non-violent
disobedience of the idea > that they are not allowed to be there. The men
and women who faced > the brunt of police fury in Portland are to be lauded
as American > patriots, and their actions must be duplicated by us all. The
groups > which organized this protest, and the ones to come, deserve our >
praise. > > The media, which spent much of the evening reporting that only
a few > hundred protesters were in attendance, must be browbeaten into >
reporting the facts from both sides - from the police, who reportedly >
detained people like the woman in the picture "for their own safety," > and
from the protesters who took a savage beating for daring to stand > against
Mr. Bush. If the battle of Portland is allowed to cast even > more fear
into the hearts and minds of Americans, we have lost yet > another swath of
freedoms. Stand and be counted if you can. > > The whole world is watching.