Stop! or my mother will shoot!

Matthew X profrv at nex.net.au
Fri Aug 30 02:17:19 PDT 2002

Seymore Mail Order

Gene sez I hear things. I heard that up until two months ago Seymore Butts
was ready to make a deal to sell his mail order. He had a tentative
interested party. There was a handshake and a promise from Seymore to call.
He never called.

Seymore Chatter

(from adultdvdtalk)

Darth-MorpheousPosted - Aug 14 2002 : 02:00:26 PM

I think seymore might have retired. He hasen't updated his site or answered
his message board in weeks. Even throughout his lawsuits and personal
problems he answered his board, updated his site, and released new material
every month. He hasn't done any of the above. I think maybe he claimed
bankruptcy and decided to leave the business. Did anyone hear any rumers?
Speelie
Member

Fort Collins, CO
400 Posts
5/01
Posted - Aug 14 2002 : 04:16:58 PM

I haven't heard anything, but if he was really going to hang it up, I think
he would have done so already. My guess, pure speculation, is that he's
taking a good long break/vacation now that he's not in a court case and is
free to leave California.

Darth-Morpheous
Member

15 Posts
3/02
Posted - Aug 15 2002 : 02:51:09 AM

I don't think so speelie. I think he would have posted something on his
message board that he used to update daily. Even through the crises with
the court cases and the break ups with alisha and Shane, he still had time
for his fans. Thanks for the reply.

Tampa Tushy Fest

 From the St. Petersburg Times, March 9, 2002: When Adam Glasser joined a
bevy of California porn stars for a long weekend in Tampa in 1998, he did
what has made him a brand name in adult films. He raised his camera and
pushed "RECORD."

Famous in the industry under the name Seymore Butts, Glasser's niche is
"gonzo" porn, which involves filming - and performing in - unscripted
sexual encounters. This one took place between two women in a Dale Mabry
motel room, in a town renowned - some would say infamous - for welcoming
the sex industry.

The encounter's result was featured in Tampa Tushy-Fest, Part I, a film
that Glasser says ranks among the most industry-lauded of the 100 he has made.

It might also send the 37-year-old filmmaker to jail, along with his
mother, Lila, the bookkeeper for his San Fernando Valley office.

Next week, in a Los Angeles courtroom, the Glassers face trial on obscenity
charges - the first such case to go to a jury there since 1993. Such
defendants usually enter a plea and accept a fine, but Glasser decided to
fight it.

The city claims that specific acts Glasser filmed in the Tampa motel room
were so extreme, so far beyond other porn films, that the movie flouts the
community standards of Los Angeles. The case will be closely watched as it
could help define obscenity standards for the multibillion-dollar West
Coast porn industry.

The case also will reinforce Tampa's longstanding reputation as a
stronghold of the sex industry. Voyeur Web cams, a swingers group, sex
shops, nude clubs: all have seized headlines in recent memory, largely
through the city's efforts to shut them down. Bob Buckhorn, the council
member who pushed a 1999 city ordinance banning lap dancing, has described
Tampa as "the holy land for the porn industry."

"Inevitably, what you hear from visitors and new residents is, 'Why are
there strip clubs on every corner?' " Buckhorn said. "We are world famous
for this stuff."

And getting more attention all the time. A recent episode of the PBS
documentary series Frontline dealt at length with the Tampa Tushy- Fest
case. Tampa Tushy-Fest, Part II has been released.

What accounts for Tampa's allure to the sex industry? Those who work in it
point to heavy tourist traffic, designated zones for strip clubs and
loopholes that make it possible to open adult businesses near churches and
schools.

And every September, the area plays host to an adult film awards gala
hosted by Nightmoves, an Oldsmar-based adult magazine given out free in
local sex shops.

"It isn't quite the holy land, but it's a very adult friendly atmosphere,"
Nightmoves publisher Paul Allen said. "We've got beautiful girls, beautiful
weather. We've got the best attorneys we'll ever need. And guys like (nude
club kingpin) Joe Redner have laid the groundwork."

Tampa's reputation as an adult-business haven has even permeated the world
of sports. In the wake of the arrests of two National Hockey League players
in a lap dancing raid, the NFL provided written warnings to all 31 teams
about Tampa's sex entertainment just before Super Bowl XXXV in 2001.

Many of the nation's sportswriters could have written the warning
themselves. During a national conference call of football writers in 1999,
a moment of silence was observed to mourn a fire that had recently damaged
a nude club on Courtney Campbell Parkway, the Tanga Lounge.

No one has sailed the winds of opportunity in Tampa better than Joe Redner.
In the 1970s, Redner invested $1,600 in a dilapidated beer joint on
Hillsborough Avenue, built a stage and opened a nude club called Night
Gallery. Despite years of police raids, and what he estimates are 150 trips
to jail, Redner owns three clubs, including the famous Mons Venus, and
places his net worth at more than $10- million.

If his clubs are known for pushing boundaries, Redner says it's partly the
government's doing. For years, the threat of a yanked liquor license forced
clubs to limit their raunchiness. Dancers stayed on stage away from
customers. When the government banned the sale of liquor at nude clubs in
the late 1970s, the lap dance was born.

Luke Lirot, a First Amendment lawyer who represents Redner, said cities
like Houston have far more strip clubs per capita than Tampa.

Tampa's reputation as a place overrun by sex businesses is a misconception
fostered by the city's well-publicized efforts to police them, Lirot said.
When the city tried to shut down Voyeur Dorm - a Web site that peeks on a
household of young women - the case reached a federal appeals court and
brought nationwide attention. "Now, when people think of Web cam stuff,
they think of Tampa," Lirot said.

Lirot estimates thousands of adult-industry workers are in the Tampa Bay
area, several hundred involved in making porn videos. For the annual
Nightmoves awards, 30 or 40 porn stars fly in from around the country for a
weekend of parties, radio gigs and appearances at adult clubs. It
culminates in a black-tie gala.

Glasser recorded portions of Tampa Tushy-Fest at the 1998 gala. But the
segment that brought the obscenity charge took place at the motel on Dale
Mabry.

"I was really only taking advantage of the fact that there were other
people from the industry from California who happened to be in town at the
same time," said Glasser, who ate at a Dale Mabry Bennigan's every night of
his Tampa trip because he lacked a car.

He and his mother could face 720 days in county jail if convicted on
misdemeanor obscenity charges. The effect could be great on the porn
industry, for the case could draw a new line that porn filmmakers would
cross at their own peril.

The porn industry keeps getting more lucrative. The New York Times reported
that Americans "pay more money for pornography in a year than they do on
movie tickets, more than they do on all the performing arts combined . . .
The porn business is estimated to total between $10-billion and $14-billion
annually in the United States when you toss in porn networks and
pay-per-view movies on cable and satellite, Internet Web sites, in-room
hotel movies, phone sex, sex toys and magazines."

George Cardona, chief of the criminal division in the Los Angeles City
Attorney's office, said his office occasionally prosecutes cases like
Glasser's in part to determine community standards of obscenity.

Glasser is defiant. The actors in his films were consenting adults, he
says, and he defends some of his work as how-to films that are educational,
providing "an oasis in the desert of the adult marketplace."

Glasser describes Tampa as a market burgeoning with potential porn- star
talent. Some strippers who have suffered because of the city's lap dancing
ban, he said, have turned to adult movies.

"The girls are probably more willing and interested now than ever," Glasser
said.