Jailed for chalking in Kalifornia and "rampant, reckless encryption."

Matthew X profrv at nex.net.au
Tue Aug 27 17:16:34 PDT 2002

http://santacruz.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=1517&group=webcast
POLICE JAIL HOMELESS ACTIVIST FOR "VANDALISM" CHALKING
IN NEW ESCALATION OF WAR ON POOR DOWNTOWN; ERASABLE
CHALK USER FINDS JAIL CONDITIONS GRIM AND ABUSIVE
Security Experts Concur Most of You Have Nothing Worth Encrypting Anyway
San Jose, Calif. — In an unusual worldwide appeal, the International
Brotherhood of Computer Hackers today asked particularly boring people to
please stop encrypting their emails.
    Cracking messages like this are a waste
    of valuable hacker time, say hackers.
According to IBCH President Björn Haxor, hackers spend thousands of hours
intercepting and cracking open encrypted emails — believing it to be "the
good stuff" — only to find most contain little more than "Two priests walk
into a bar," or "Hi Bob, here's my new email address."
"Maybe you think hacking coded messages is simple, but it's not — well,
except for the Microsoft Outlook ones," said Haxor. "The rest of it is a
pain in the backdoor. So here's a tip: if you encrypt just because you want
to keep your personal information 'secret,' but all you're encrypting is
blather about your stupid promotion or a recipe for fruit salad, guess
what? Your secret's already out. You're dull."
"Please, keep it to yourself and stop wasting our time," he added.
Instead, Haxor said, people should only encrypt if they are going to send
information such as passwords, credit card numbers, blueprints for an
unreleased product, or confidential sales figures. Barring that, he
advised, "at least give us something revealing, like you slept with your
boss's wife, or his Airedale."
In fact, some frustrated hackers have begun to fight back against what they
call "rampant, reckless encryption."
"I had one guy at Oracle who encrypted everything, and 80 percent of his
emails were gripes about his department head," said IBCH member
BlackDogg77. "I got so fed up, I bounced all the emails back to the guy's
boss and got him fired. I mean, why should I put up with that shit?"
"Or Al Gore," Haxor added. "The other day I'm monitoring some government
servers, and I see all these encrypted emails from Gore. Hey Al, news
alert: You're Al Gore. No one cares anymore. Give it up."
Surprisingly, computer security experts agree. "I get this all the time:
'Should I encrypt? I don't want anyone to steal my identity,'" said
LockUpOnline President Bing D'aahl. "The textbook answer has been 'Yes,'
but now we are advising people to first ask themselves, 'Do I have an
identity that anyone would really want to steal?'"
If you answer truthfully, D'aahl said, chances are you'll forego the
digital ID and save everyone a lot of trouble.
"Remember, the Internet wasn't built just for you," Haxor added.