onsite service in Black Rock

Ryan Lackey ryan at havenco.com
Tue Aug 27 11:10:55 PDT 2002

Quoting Major Variola (ret) <mv at cdc.gov>:

> A satphone is under $2K and its under $3 minute.  Cost-cutting measures,
> eh?

It's more that I'm not willing to take my nice new thinkpad and satphone and
other stuff into the desert, as it would either be left unattended, or
carried around while distinctly non-sober.  Plus, it's a bit hot out for
electronics stored in a tent all day; without a car, it's a bit more difficult.
And the salt...

Next year, an RV, but I don't have a drivers license yet.  Camping is nice,
but not around other people; I'd rather be in a very small group hiking
and camping, or in a 4+ star hotel; an RV would be good enough for a week.
Also, way too many of my bay area friends are broke this year, actively
searching for jobs, and thus can't show up -- hopefully next year.

I think people actually have 802.11b working pretty extensively, with
a Tachyon-based uplink (originally provided by John Gilmore; not sure about
this year); I have a spare tachyon setup which I'd take if I had a nice
vehicle on which to mount it, and in which to mount the indoor unit,
generator, etc.

HAL2001 was 100x better than burningman anyway, and had gigabit connectivity.

Just going off into the desert to do experimental rocket launches is probably
even better.

Ryan Lackey [RL7618 RL5931-RIPE]        ryan at havenco.com
CTO and Co-founder, HavenCo Ltd.        +44 7970 633 277
the free world just milliseconds away   http://www.havenco.com/
OpenPGP 4096: B8B8 3D95 F940 9760 C64B  DE90 07AD BE07 D2E0 301F