right MTA for crypto support

Lucky Green shamrock at cypherpunks.to
Tue Aug 27 16:51:15 PDT 2002

Eric wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 11:53:08AM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> > I'm getting rather pissed at diverse wiretap legislations
> making the
> > global rounds (lately EU is making noises towards storing a
> one year
> > deep FIFO of all email and browsing traffic for all users),
> and would
> > like to run my own MTA, with MX fallback to ISPs. I would
> like to have
> > secure MUA-MTA (IMAP/SSL POP/SSL and MTA-MTA (if the other end
> > supports it).
>

> lne.com's sendmail now supports START_TLS.  Not that that
> adds any security to cpunks list mail of course.  But it does
> increase the amount of encrypted traffic.

There are a bunch of projects that either work on or have completed
integration of PGP at the MTA-level. A post to the OpenPGP lists should
round up the candidates. Either way, I agree with Eric that turning on
STARTTLS support in MTA's has become so easy that I would be hard
pressed to come up with reasons why one wouldn't. I know that enabling
STARTTLS is trivial in postfix and I am told that STARTTLS ships with
exim and at least the Debian build of sendmail.

Either way, I would recommend to first enable STARTTLS in your MTA and
only after that start looking at PGP integrations. (I fully understand
that STARTTLS and PGP fulfill different needs and address different
thread models).

--Lucky Green