U.S. Military Uses the Force

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Thu Aug 22 10:45:58 PDT 2002

At 07:49 AM 8/22/02 -0700, keyser-soze at hushmail.com wrote:
>[[I wonder if a similar techique can be used against bullets for
personal armor or home defense.]

Yes and the dogs don't piss on the rosebushes after the first time they
bridge the caps...

Bullets would be "anti-personnel artillery" and the article states that
vaporizing doesn't work
for artillery.  So, um, no.

I tend to wonder how this would work more than once, and suspect that
merely
disrupting the shaped charge or changing the stand-off distance is
protective.

As an aside, I wonder if there are scale problems with huge shaped
charges; could a 100' diam
100' tall charge destroy a bunker 300' deep?  (Supposing you could get
the army engineers on
the ground to build it.. a kinda military burning man I suppose..)

>U.S. Military Uses the Force
>One of the most dangerous and pervasive threats facing American and
>British troops in combat zones is a primitive grenade launcher that
only
>sets your typical terrorist back about $10.

Do you have to ask for them by name at Fry's?

-MachEffectPunk