New Palladium FAQ available

AARG! Anonymous remailer at aarg.net
Wed Aug 21 23:45:29 PDT 2002

Microsoft has apparently just made available a new FAQ on its
controversial Palladium technology at
http://www.microsoft.com/PressPass/features/2002/aug02/0821PalladiumFAQ.asp.

Samples:

> Q: I've heard that "Palladium" will force people to run only
> Microsoft-approved software.
>
> A: "Palladium" can't do that. "Palladium's" security chip (the SSC)
> and other features are not involved in the boot process of the OS or in
> the OS's decision to load an application that doesn't use a "Palladium"
> feature and execute it. Because "Palladium" is not involved in the
> boot process, it cannot block an OS, or drivers or any non-"Palladium"
> PC application from running. Only the user decides what "Palladium"
> applications get to run. Anyone can write an application to take advantage
> of "Palladium" APIs without notifying Microsoft (or anyone else) or
> getting its (or anyone else's) approval.

> Q: Some people have claimed that "Palladium" will enable Microsoft or
> other parties to detect and remotely delete unlicensed software from my
> PC. Is this true?
>
> A: No. As stated above, the function of "Palladium" is to make digitally
> signed statements about code identity and hide secrets from other
> "Palladium" applications and regular Windows kernel- and user-mode
> spaces. "Palladium" doesn't have any features that make it easier for
> an application to detect or delete files.

Hopefully Microsoft will continue to release information about Palladium.
That should help to bring some of the more outrageous rumors under
control.