Declan McCullagh on politics and DMCA

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Tue Aug 20 07:35:11 PDT 2002

Bear in mind that Declan has always favored the copyright industry,
after all that fits his ambition to be a star in that field, not that he
is alone in seeking media celebrity by seducing others with the
allure of attention and fame. He drops way too many names
not to come across as an accomplished, striving star-sucker.

Declan covers issues in a balanced way, so the story always
goes, though the balance is always tipped toward those he
wants to flatter -- which is toward the winners side, the bigger the
winners the more likely the scale will be tipped by Times magazine
speak of featuring the stars which mesmerize star-struck readers
and, not least, publishers and editors and the copyright bandits
which thrive on celebrity mongering -- fabrication, gloss,
lies, deception, condescension toward the nobodies which
buy their dreck, a la Waterboy Valenti et al.

Promoting winners over losers is a giant industry, the American
way of doing business. Sorry to say, Nomen, this is not courageous
reporting, it is formulaic suck-up.

This is not to demean Declan as a person, he's "a nice guy," --
he slurs me condescendingly similarly -- only to note what he
does for who he works for is vile, pretentious, not at all objective.
In that hired-gun demeanor he is a professional, if you know what
I demean.