employment market for applied cryptographers?

John Kelsey kelsey.j at ix.netcom.com
Sat Aug 17 00:37:19 PDT 2002

At 04:21 AM 8/16/02 -0400, dmolnar wrote:
>Don't forget schedule pressure, the overhead of bringing in a contractor
>to do crypto protocol design, and the not-invented-here syndrome. I think
>all of these contribute to keeping protocol design in-house, regardless of
>the technical skill of the parties involved.

Also, designing new crypto protocols, or analyzing old ones used in odd
ways, is mostly useful for companies that are offering some new service on
the net, or doing some wildly new thing.  Many of the obvious new things
have been done, for better or worse, and few companies are able to get
funding for whatever cool new ideas they may have for the net, good or bad.
 And without funding, people are a lot more likely to either decide to do
the security themselves, apply openSSL and a lot of duct tape and hope for
the best, or just ignore security.  Sure, it may cost a lot later, but
they're going broke *now*.

--John Kelsey, kelsey.j at ix.netcom.com // jkelsey at certicom.com