Schneier on Arming Airplane Pilots (was Re: CRYPTO-GRAM, August 15, 2002)

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Thu Aug 15 16:11:54 PDT 2002

My sister-in-law had a brilliantly simple answer to the problem of
hijacking which was, close, but, um, no spliff, :-), to Vin
Suprynowicz's notorious "Ganja and Guns Airline" column of a few
years back.

She said, on September 12 or so last year, "Why don't you have a
certification on your concealed-carry permit that allows you to carry
on an airplane?"

That means, like a hazmat certificate on a commercial driver's
license, you've been trained. You know how to shoot on a plane: what
kinds of frangible bullets to use, who to shoot at :-), and so on.
At check-in time, the firearm owner pulls out her concealed-carry
license with the cabin-carry certificate, shows someone the frangible
ammo she's using, and is checked through to the gate.

I figure if even Tim May thinks armed passengers are a bad idea, :-),
and Bruce thinks even arming the *pilots* is a bad idea, I'm
certainly leaning into the wind a bit here, but, I think it's a
*great* idea, myself.

It doesn't matter if someone smuggles a *machine gun* onto the plane,
they don't know *who* is on the plane, with a gun, and *qualified* to
take them out.

Think of it as statistical process control for the rest of us.

Or evolution in action.

Or geodesic warfare.

Cheers,
RAH

PS: I think we're going to *need* counter-attack scenarios on the
net. Like Whit Diffie said, "infowar" will be fought between
businesses. Governments are too slow, and not, paradoxically, nearly
ubiquitous enough to do the job. All we need is bearer cash, :-),
and, someday, machines even can handle it themselves...

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA