Spam blocklists?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Aug 13 22:41:02 PDT 2002

    --
On 14 Aug 2002 at 4:36, Peter Fairbrother wrote:
> For instance, limiting the number of recipients of an email
> (the cryptogeek system I'm working on [m-o-o-t] just allows
> one), or limiting the number of emails one IP can send per
> day (adjusted for number of users).
>
> There was an EU proposal to force spammers (who are not
> always unwanted) to put [ADV] in the Subject: line, with
> appropriate penalties if they failed to, but it didn't happen
> (and we got long-term traffic data retention instead).
>
> I don't know offhand how to do it, but having unelected and
> unaccountable people (making the conditions for) stopping my
> email is unacceptable.

Solution is obvious and has been known for a long time
Integrate payment with email.  If anyone not on your approved
list wants to send you mail, they have to pay you x, where x is
a trivial sum, say a cent or two.

Spammers wind up sending huge amounts of mail to unmonitored
mailboxes, which will make spamming unprofitable.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     DIY+MmmrLQhijrJvvUennc4PKuW3ydzF1s8Phfvc
     2thHL52WvLYLBuy1gMvfbs8U1toNuUIIWvvhnySCw