Reply for Dan Veeneman, Spam blocklists?

Greg Broiles gbroiles at parrhesia.com
Tue Aug 13 12:09:42 PDT 2002

At 07:25 PM 8/13/2002 +0100, Peter Fairbrother wrote:

>The above email got bounced, does anyone know why? Neither my (62.3.121.225)
>nor the .zen.co.uk IP's are blacklisted anywhere I can find. 208.249.200.24
>is on one list (xbl.selwerd.cx), but that isn't (?) the sender.

parmenides.zen.co.uk was on spam blocklists until very recently - see

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=212.23.8.69+group:news.admin.net-abuse.*&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d&selm=aij5pl%2414guph%241%40ID-66783.news.dfncis.de&rnum=1

for a discussion of that, or

http://www.dsbl.org/listing.php?ip=212.23.8.69

for the literal details including results of relay tests;

and see

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=212.23.8.69+group:news.admin.net-abuse.*&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d&selm=001901c1ead6%24c6bd9a20%244fcf44c6%40default&rnum=4

for an example of spam that was relayed through that server.

>Osirusoft seems to be a spam blocker, but blocking legitimate mail is going
>too far. I'd rather have the spam. And I object strongly to third (or
>fourth) parties deciding what to do with my mail.

It's the recipient, or someone acting on their behalf, who's deciding what
to do with
*their* mail, at least from the recipient's perspective.

--
Greg Broiles -- gbroiles at parrhesia.com -- PGP 0x26E4488c or 0x94245961