TCPA and Open Source

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Aug 13 08:55:29 PDT 2002

    --
On 13 Aug 2002 at 0:05, AARG! Anonymous wrote:
> The point is that while this is a form of signed code, it's not
> something which gives the TPM control over what OS can boot.
> Instead, the VCs are used to report to third party challengers
> (on remote systems) what the system configuration of this system
> is "supposed" to be, along with what it actually is.

It does however, enable the state to control what OS one can boot
if one wishes to access the internet.

It does not seem to me that the TPM is likely to give hollywood
what it wants, unless it is backed by such state enforcement.

Furthermore, since the TPM gets first whack at boot up, a simple
code download to the TPM could change the meaning of the
signature, so that the machine will not boot unless running a
state authorized operating system.

It could well happen that TPM machines become required to go on
the internet, and then later only certain operating systems are
permitted on the internet, and then later the required operating
system upgrades the TPM software so that only authorized operating
systems boot at all.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     H/t91jm8hq5pLR2AdFYi2lRoV9AKYBZ7WqqJmKFe
     2/IFQaW0fl6ec+TL3iMKMxD6Y0ulGDK7RwqTVJlBQ