Seth on TCPA at Defcon/Usenix

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Aug 13 08:14:45 PDT 2002

    --
On 12 Aug 2002 at 20:38, Mike Rosing wrote:
> I'm actually really confused about the whole DRM business
> anyway.  It seems to me that any data available to human
> perceptions can be duplicated.  Period.  The idea of DRM (as I
> understand it) is that you can hand out data to people you don't
> trust, and they can't copy it. To me, DRM seems fundamentally
> impossible.

To me DRM seems possible to the extent that computers themselves
are rendered tamper resistant -- that is to say rendered set top
boxes not computers, to the extent that unauthorized personnel are
prohibited from accessing general purpose computers.

To me, TCPA only makes sense as a step towards some of the more
monstrous outcomes that have been suggested by myself and others
on this list.  It does not make sense as a final destination, but
only as a first step on a path.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     xnGldvXqRQB8PKwYfVNs7FqNlzHkJtffm/JPsWY9
     2NZkA77opkyGpXY+3+uMUIXDusHs6+ZgOeCu7YXgJ