TCPA/Palladium -- likely future implications

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Fri Aug 9 18:21:44 PDT 2002

    --
On 9 Aug 2002 at 17:15, AARG! Anonymous wrote:
> to understand it you need a true picture of TCPA rather than the
> false one which so many cypherpunks have been promoting.

As TCPA is currently vaporware, projections of what it will be,
and how it will be used are judgments, and are not capable of
being true or false, though they can be plausible or implausible.

Even with the best will in the world, and I do not think the
people behind this have the best will in the world, there is an
inherent conflict between tamper resistance and general purpose
programmability.  To prevent me from getting at the bits as they
are sent to my sound card or my video card, the entire computer,
not just the dongle, has to be somewhat tamper resistant, which is
going to make the entire computer somewhat less general purpose
and programmable, thus less useful.

The people behind TCPA might want to do something more evil than
you say they want to do, if they want to do what you say they want
to do they might be prevented by law enforcement which wants
something considerably more far reaching and evil, and if they
want to do it, and law enforcement refrains from reaching out and
taking hold of their work, they still may be unable to do it for
technical reasons.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     D7ZUyyAS+7CybaH0GT3tHg1AkzcF/LVYQwXbtqgP
     2HBjGwLqIOW1MEoFDnzCH6heRfW1MNGv1jXMIvtwb