Challenge to TCPA/Palladium detractors

R. Hirschfeld ray at unipay.nl
Thu Aug 8 15:46:24 PDT 2002

> Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 21:55:40 +0200
> From: "R. Hirschfeld" <ray at unipay.nl>
>
> > Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 12:50:29 -0700
> > From: AARG!Anonymous <remailer at aarg.net>
>
> > I'd like the Palladium/TCPA critics to offer an alternative proposal
> > for achieving the following technical goal:
> >
> >   Allow computers separated on the internet to cooperate and share data
> >   and computations such that no one can get access to the data outside
> >   the limitations and rules imposed by the applications.
>
> The model and the goal are a bit different, but how about secure
> multi-party computation, as introduced by Chaum, Crepeau, and Damgard
> in 1988 and subsequently refined by others?

Sorry, I see from an earlier message of yours that you are looking for
a simple non-crypto solution, so I guess this doesn't fit the bill.

The examples you gave in your earlier message all seem to be
equivalent to having the participants send the data to a trusted third
party who performs the computation, except that the trusted third
party is transplanted to one or more of the participants computers,
which are protected against their owners.  I guess it boils down to
whether or not the level of trust is sufficient.  This seems iffy when
one of the participants is also the trust provider.