commercial birds over Qatar, differential imagery in open press, Pgon not happy

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Wed Aug 7 23:43:54 PDT 2002

http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2002/020806-iraq1.htm

Tim Brown of the defense think tank Globalsecurity.org which has
published an extensive analysis of the latest
     satellite imagery on its web site, said the base "looks like it is
being designed to replace the Prince Sultan Air Base in
     Saudi Arabia so we don't have to rely on the Saudis for this
operation."

     Pentagon officials last night refused to discuss details of the
preparations at al Udeid. One added that planners are
     "not happy" the images are floating around on the Internet - "but
[we] realize there's nothing we can do."