USENIX Security TCPA/Palladium Panel Wednesday

AARG! Anonymous remailer at aarg.net
Tue Aug 6 15:15:17 PDT 2002

Lucky Green writes:
> The slides of the talk on TCPA that I gave over the weekend at DEFCON
> are now available at http://www.cypherpunks.to

Amazing claims you are making there.  Claiming that the TPM will be
included on "all future motherboards"; claiming that an objective is
to meet the operational needs of law enforcement and intelligence;
claiming that TCPA members (all 170 of them?) have more access to his
computer than the owner; fantasizing about an "approved hardware list"
and "serial number revocation list" which don't exist in the spec(!);
further fantasies about a "list of undesirable applications" (where do
you get this stuff!).

On page 16, the OS is going to start the secure time counter (but TCPA
has no secure time feature!); synchronize time against authenticated
time servers (again, no such thing is in the spec); and download the
hardware and serial number revocation lists (nothing exists like this!).
I honestly don't understand how you can say this when there is nothing
like it in the TCPA specification.

Are you talking to insiders about a future revision?  Do you know for
a fact that TCPA will hae SNRL's and such in the future?

Or are you just being political, trying to increase pressure on TCPA
*not* to go with serial number revocation lists and the like, by falsely
claiming that this is in the design already?