Privacy-enhancing uses for TCPA

Jay Sulzberger jays at panix.com
Sat Aug 3 12:34:25 PDT 2002

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, AARG!Anonymous wrote:

< ... />

> Now for a simple example of what can be done: a distributed poker game.
> Of course there are a number of crypto protocols for playing poker on the
> net, but they are quite complicated.  Even though they've been around
> for almost 20 years, I've never seen game software which uses them.
> With TCPA we can do it trivially.

< ... />

No.  Have you included the cost of giving every computer on Earth to the
Englobulators?  If you wish, we can write an implementation of the
wonderful protocols for distributed safer card drawing and we can play our
games of poker.  And we may run our poker room on the hardware and software
we have today, no need for DRM.

Indeed today millions use toady's untrammeled hardware and, this is
incredible, Microsoft OSes to conduct their personal banking.  If "the
market" considers that present systems suffice for this, well, I do not
think that we need surrender our computers to the Englobulators to save
three man-months of programmer time.

ad next moves in the eristic tree:

You: Marginals vs. total time-space integrated costs/benefits!

I: Happy to demonstrate estimates of totals come out for my side.

oo--JS.