Other uses of TCPA

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sat Aug 3 09:56:26 PDT 2002

On Saturday, August 3, 2002, at 09:10  AM, James A. Donald wrote:

>     --
> On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Nomen Nescio wrote:
>> As an exercise, try thinking of ways you could use TCPA to
>> promote "good guy" applications.  What could you do in a P2P
>> network if you could trust that all participants were running
>> approved software? And if you
>
> I can only see one application for voluntary TCPA, and that is the
> application it was designed to perform:  Make it possible run
> software or content which is encrypted so that it will only run on
> one computer for one time period.
>
> All the other proposed uses, both good and evil, seem improbably
> cumbersome, or easier to do in some other fashion.  There are
> quite a few extremely evil uses it would be good for, but they
> would only be feasible if enforced by legislation -- otherwise
> people would turn the chip off, or tear it out.

"The VSPA (Video Surveillance Protection Architecture) is a completely
voluntary arrangement whereby video cameras must be installed by 2003 in
all new and remodeled homes, apartments, places of business, libraries,
and other such places. These cameras and microphones can be used
voluntarily by parents and other concerned persons to monitor children,
pets, and domestic workers. Under the VSPA, the video feed will be sent
to a centralized location where homeowners and parents may then access
the feed, strictly voluntarily.

"While installation of VSPA will be mandated by law in all new and
remodeled homes, the use of VSPA features is strictly on an opt-in
basis, except as authorized by law (*).

"* Note that VSPA features may be accessed by court order, by
presidential emergency order, by authorization of an employee of the
Justice, Defense, Interior, or HomeSec departments who is above the
grade level GS-7. During periods of Domestic Emergency, the President or
the HomeSec Commissar may enable the VSPA on a regional or state or
national basis. Additionally, Child Protective Services, the
Environmental Protection Agency, and other selected agencies may be
granted access, all subject to strict oversight by government officials.

"Remember, VSPA is a completely voluntary system. The installation of
the VSPA cameras and microphones will assist us all. The legitimate
needs of law enforcement will be subject to careful oversight.

"Best of all, a substantial tax credit will be granted to those who
voluntarily install the VSPA system prior to the mandatory phase-in
time. To pay for the voluntary VSPA system, taxes will be raised for
those who fail to volunteer."

--Tim May
"As my father told me long ago, the objective is not to convince someone
  with your arguments but to provide the arguments with which he later
  convinces himself." -- David Friedman