Challenge to David Wagner on TCPA

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Fri Aug 2 10:37:16 PDT 2002

    --
On 2 Aug 2002 at 10:43, Trei, Peter wrote:
> Since the position argued involves nothing which would invoke
> the malign interest of government powers or corporate legal
> departments, it's not that. I can only think of two reasons why
> our corrospondent may have decided to go undercover...

I can think of two innocuous reasons, though the real reason is
probably something else altogether:

1.  Defending copyright enforcement is extremely unpopular because
it seemingly puts you on the side of the hollywood cabal, but in
fact TCPA/Paladium, if it works as described, and if it is not
integrated with legal enforcement, does not over reach in the
fashion that most recent intellectual property legislation, and
most recent policy decisions by the patent office over reach.

2..  Legal departments are full of people who are, among their
many other grievious faults, technologically illiterate.
Therefore when an insider is talking about something, they cannot
tell when he is leaking inside information or not, and tend to
have kittens, because they have to trust him (being unable to tell
if he is leaking information covered by NDA), and are
constitutionally incapable of trusting anyone.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     Alf9R2ZVGqWkLhwWX2H6TBqHOunrj2Fbxy+U0ORV
     2uPGI4gMDt1fTQkV1820PO3xWmAWPiaS0DqrbmobN