Challenge to David Wagner on TCPA

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Fri Aug 2 08:26:35 PDT 2002

     --
On 2 Aug 2002 at 0:36, David Wagner wrote:
> For instance, suppose that, thanks to TCPA/Palladium, Microsoft
> could design Office 2005 so that it is impossible for StarOffice
> and other clones to read files created in Office 2005.  Would
> some users object?

In an anarchic society, or under a government that did not define
and defend IP, TCPA/Palladium would probably give roughly the
right amount of protection to intellectual property by technical
means in place of legal means.

Chances are that the thinking behind Palladium is not "Let us sell
out to the Hollywood lobby" but rather "Let us make those !@#$$%^&
commie chinese pay for their *&^%$##@ software".

Of course, in a society with both legal and technical protection
of IP, the likely outcome is oppressive artificial monopolies
sustained both by technology and state power.

I would certainly much prefer TCPA/Palladium in place of existing
IP law.  What I fear is that instead legislation and technology
will each reinforce the other.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     R66NXPp5xZNDYn98jcVqH5q22ikRRFR3evv5xfwF
     2PNka92tYm9+/iBKaR+IcOoDA8BwXZlwcPD18Ogw8