Challenge to David Wagner on TCPA

David G. Koontz koontz at ariolimax.com
Thu Aug 1 22:33:20 PDT 2002

Jon Callas wrote:
> On 8/1/02 1:14 PM, "Trei, Peter" <ptrei at rsasecurity.com> wrote:
>

>>So my question is: What is your reason for shielding your identity?
>>You do so at the cost of people assuming the worst about your
>>motives.
>

> Is this a tacit way to suggest that the only people who need anonymity or
> pseudonymity are those with something to hide?

.

Anonymity is generally considered a a requirement for the political
process in the United States to protect the right to express political
speech without regard to being harrassed by those in power.  There
have been several federal court decisions in the last few years that
have struck down laws limiting anonymity for political speech.  One
that comes to mind was a requirement in Chicago, I think that required
the authors name on political phamplets.
Would a law requiring such technical measures for controlling access
to copyrighted information as proposed by representatives of Disney,
et. al. in the U.S. Congress recently that incidentally by design
prevented anonymity be found to be unconstitutionally limiting freedom
of political speech on the internet by its chilling effect?