Mandatory hardware

Michael Motyka mmotyka at lsil.com
Thu Aug 1 12:02:23 PDT 2002

"Major Variola \(ret\)" <mv at cdc.gov> wrote :
> TV makers may face mandate on digital receivers
> Wed Jul 31, 9:17 AM ET
>
> In an effort to jump-start the languid rollout of digital TV, federal
> regulators
> next week are expected to require all new TV sets to include digital
> receivers by 2006, say people familiar with the matter.
>
> TV makers say the mandate would boost the price
> of a TV by about $200, dampening sales.
> Broadcasters, who have pushed for such a rule,
> dispute the figure.
> <snip>
> http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=711&ncid=738&e=8&u=/usatoday/2002> 0731/tc_usatoday/4320647
>
> Lets see... they think they can require crap in TVs, in teleco
> equiptment... anyone still doubt they will try a power
> grab on the motherboard?

I have no doubt that they will try to screw the motherboard ( they are,
after all, motherfuckers ) but I suspect it will turn out to be more
difficult than they think to completely eradicate noncompliant devices.
That is unless the new protocols that the administration wants require
hw id fields and  authentication before packets can be carried. Now that
I think about it it could easily be like getting service to a cell phone
only more so.

Interestingly, wireless equipment could be used to make networks that
are not part of the controlled net. Then of course those can be
outlawed. It looks pretty grim.