Nuclear reactor sites no longer readily findable on Web

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sun Sep 30 21:24:54 PDT 2001

I was checking some of my URLs for maps of nuclear power plants, maps
once heavily publicized as parts of civil defense preparedness plans
from the U.S.G.

Guess what? Many of them are gone. The Web caches are not fully useful,
as the indexed sites point to the subpages containing the large image
GIFs (and other formats). So Google's cache has the first page, but all
attempts to access the subpages give the same "information no longer
available" sorts of messages.

The main Nuclear Regulatory Commission site no longer allows downloading
of maps, and results in this message:

http://www.nrc.gov/NRC/REACTOR/GEOSPATIAL/lvsites.html
Nuclear Site Locations

This site is no longer available.

For another example,

http://www.insc.anl.gov/pwrmaps/map/world_map.html

"Unsuccessful Access to INSC Information

The page you requested cannot be found on this server. Please check your
URL for spelling errors. If you requested access to the maps of nuclear
power reactor locations, these maps have been taken off-line temporarily
pending the outcome of a policy review by the US Department of Energy
and Argonne National Laboratory. "

Maybe this is a temporary thing, maybe some lower-down burrowcrat
thought to himself: "Oooh, I could lose my job for having a map of
nuclear power plants at my site!

Fortunately, the U.S.G. has no monopoly on simple maps of where nuclear
power plants are!

http://www.nucleartourist.com/   still works.

I wonder for how long? How long before printing something so simple as a
map, a map which has been around for decades, is considered espionage?

As Nietzsche once said, be careful how you choose your enemies, for you
will become them.

--Tim May